I just got an email from Mike Rusten, the man who taught my TBI Essentials class, which contained some very surprising news.
…it was decided to drop the second year of TBI Essentials and for this next year just to offer it on the downtown campus as a one year class
This might not sound like a huge deal, but I was planning on finishing the second year of TBI Essentials, then taking the first year of Greek offered by TBI. This would be in (hopeful) preparation for going to the seminary that Bethlehem is starting this coming year. The cancellation of the second year accelerates my schedule for making a decision on my future career path.
Please pray for wisdom and discernment with regards to this decision. There are so many factors that play into it, I need help. Things that I’m thinking about include…
- Money- I make good money with my engineering salary. It wouldn’t be much of a lifestyle change if that income is reduced, but it would change things.
- Job Satisfaction- I really enjoy engineering, but I find myself occupied with other things during the workday. My skills and inclinations may be more suited for a different kind of position.
- Job Availability- Are there positions open for folks who have a seminary degree? I really don’t know what the market looks like. I also don’t know what type of positions there are within this field.
- Family Reaction- I’m not entirely sure how my family would react, but I’m guessing they would not be in favor of this kind of move.
- House Payments- I am currently searching for a house to buy. Having a job that pays less well may limit my options or require renting out space. That isn’t an issue now (and I was planning on doing it), but if I get married and start a family it would become more difficult.
I don’t want to give the impression that I’ve already made up my mind, I haven’t. I really don’t know what I will do. But this development has stirred up these thoughts and ideas which had settled a little.
And as a p.s., I’ve been trying different ways to allocate my time, which is why I haven’t written in a long while. Hopefully I’ll start writing more and more frequently, because I do enjoy it.